SC - foreign cook was What would you do?

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 1 14:15:20 PST 2001

>I've had an enthusiasm to try candying (orange) peel for a while (have
>collected several versions of the process from list and net sites, thank
>you kindly), but I don't (!) eat oranges, let alone large volumes of
>them.  So, any ideas on a practical way to accumulate peel, short of
>buying a box and keeping only the peel?  THAT $ound$ not too great a
>$trategy.

If there is a juice-bar or smoothie bar in your town, see if they will pass
on a sackful of the remains of juiced oranges late one morning.  Some
groceries also make fresh OJ, it's just a matter of finding out what day and
what time of day to be available to retreive the skins. (They probably won't
want to leave them in the cooler until your convenience--'cause if you don't
show up and the sack gets forgotten and shoved behind things, then the
health inspector comes. . . )

Bonne