SC - 7-Layer Dip

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Tue Jan 2 13:13:37 PST 2001

>I did a very small lamb roast the other night, and studded it with
>organic coffee beans.  It did not have to roast for very long, as it was
>a small roast, but the flavor of the beans did permeate the meat nicely,
>making a subtle yet aromatic flavor.  We rubbed salt, pepper, and a small
>amount of curry powder on the outside of the lamb, and the combination
>was very nice.  The coffee beans were still quite crunchy, however, and I
>wondered if it were cooked longer (like for a bigger piece of lamb),
>would the beans get softer?  We picked them out, but a few were
>disagreeably crunchy.  They gave the meat around them an interesting pink
>tinge, too.
>I satisfied my garlic and rosemary urges >
Christianna

I did a whole hind quarter with the coffee beans.  No.  The beans never did
get really soft.  Some on the bottom side got softer than the ones on top.
I basted mine and did some injections with wine and drippings.  Since I
can't smell much of anything with this cold, I also couldn't taste too much,
but all the folks there really liked it.  I suggested I may add coffee
(either brewed or instant) to the marinade next time and the general
concensus was that may be a good thing.

I roasted in tin foil seperately 10 whole heads of garlic, topped, with a
little olive oil and fresh rosemary thrown on.  To serve, I pinched the
bottoms to partially expose the garlic cloves through the peeling and give
it a flower effect.  Folks liked those alot too.
Olwen