SC - Twelfth-Century Bibliography

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Jan 3 20:04:35 PST 2001

> As far as I understand it, the rules don't allow you to use SCA funds to
> purchase alcohol unless it's being used _in_ cooking.

And so how does one qualify buying alcohol for cooking? is there a ceiling
quantity limit or is it honour?

>  It's also a big
> no-no to serve it if you're an SCA officer of any sort (in other words,
> get someone else to "tend bar" at the war get-togethers).

REALLY? Well we are a badddddd Canton then. :)

>  And it's
> frowned upon to donate for fundraisers, etc....all, of course, dependent
> on your local/state laws, and the rules for the particular site.

Again this can be fudged (and in all reality it is done here every week I
suspect) by not listing the alcohol as a separate item, but lumping it in in
the food budget.

> What you might be able to do, is get your local brewers to _donate_ the
> wine/mead/beers/ales/whatever.
> I gotta admit I have _no_ idea to what extent any of this applies to SCA
> stuff in countries other than the U.S.

Well here in Ontario Canada in order to serve alcohol at a cash bar (that
one has obtained a license for) one MUST take the SmartServe Course offered
at the local colleges. I believe it is an afternoon-long course but it
legalizes you to serve alcohol at any function provided the function is
licenced. You can't, however, get a licence unless you prove you have
obtained the certificate from the course.

The actual event or room is not licenced, the person serving is.

Micaylah
~who understands that licensing and alcohol are really a geographical thing~