SC - stuffed avocados

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Jan 3 23:31:56 PST 2001

In a message dated 03-Jan-01 10:47:48 PM Pacific Standard Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

<<
 I know the avocado plant is grown here in the New World. Did it originate
 here? Or is it an Old World transplant? If so, does it show up in any
 period recipes? Hmmm. Okay I consulted Waverly Roots "Food". It is native
 to the Americas. It was first found in Columbia. And it was grown in the
 US until the later part of the 1800s. It definitely doesn't look like
 it made it to Europe within our period of study. >>

The avocado is native to Cental and South America, where is has been
cultivated for centuries.  Avocado come from the Aztec word Abuacalt.  Early
Spanish explorers observed the cultivation, and although brought many
examples back to Europe, it did not become popular until recently.  However,
there existed a fruit similar to the avocado, which is much smaller, and
grows in Greece.  I currently have no references to period use of these
"avocados."  Other than my Aunt, who lives in Athens, and says they have been
there "forever" :)

Donegal Arias Massalla