SC - Rusks???

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jan 4 21:46:40 PST 2001

OK, my message to Micaylah was PRIVATE, but I can see that they have
different rules up there than down here.  So since she made fun of me on the
list, a few clarifications.

> > Micaylah, I think I've said this before -- the SCA rules on serving
> alcohol
> > apply ONLY in the USA.  You are in Canada, therefore you function under
> > different rules.  And your comments may be only confusing the issue,
> > although you do point out that you are Canadian.  The person asking is
in
> > the USA and therefore needs to follow the USA rules.
>
> Are you suggesting that I shouldnt post what we do here because Im
Canadian?
> Aren't you assuming that the level of intelligence on this list is so low
> that they didnt absorb the fact that I did state that I was Canadian?
Maybe
> I should just retire back to lurking after a couple, few years hiatus if I
> am going to get responses like this.

No.  What I meant is that you keep giving the Canadian perspective on
serving alcohol at feasts, which is totally irrelevant to people in the USA.
I'm sorry, I thought this was clear; it was not meant as the personal attack
you seem to choose to twist it into.  That was why I sent the private
message to you explaining that your information (and your interpretation of
how the SCA's alcohol serving rules, which specifically only apply in the
USA, might reflect upon your group) is not helpful in answering the question
asked.

> > So you are not a "baaaaaad Canton," as you crowed on the list; you're a
> > Canadian one.  And telling someone ways to fold alcohol purchases into
the
> > food budget may work for Canada but will get someone in the USA into
> serious
> > trouble.
>
> Crowed? Ummmmm sure ok. And I was in NO WAY telling someone else to fudge
on
> their budgets, just what we sometimes do here. I would never tell anyone
> break the law. Please dont put words into my mouth.

Ah, so you can put words in MY mouth......  I didn't put the words into
yours.  In fact, the message reads (I include it whole, in case someone
wants to question editing):

> Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 17:24:18 -0500
> From: "micaylah" <dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca>
> Subject: Re: SC - SCA rules on serving wine?
>
> > As far as I understand it, the rules don't allow you to use SCA funds to
> > purchase alcohol unless it's being used _in_ cooking.
>
> And so how does one qualify buying alcohol for cooking? is there a ceiling
> quantity limit or is it honour?
>
> >  It's also a big
> > no-no to serve it if you're an SCA officer of any sort (in other words,
> > get someone else to "tend bar" at the war get-togethers).
>
> REALLY? Well we are a badddddd Canton then. :)
>
> >  And it's
> > frowned upon to donate for fundraisers, etc....all, of course, dependent
> > on your local/state laws, and the rules for the particular site.
>
> Again this can be fudged (and in all reality it is done here every week I
> suspect) by not listing the alcohol as a separate item, but lumping it in
in
> the food budget.
>
> > What you might be able to do, is get your local brewers to _donate_ the
> > wine/mead/beers/ales/whatever.
> > I gotta admit I have _no_ idea to what extent any of this applies to SCA
> > stuff in countries other than the U.S.
>
> Well here in Ontario Canada in order to serve alcohol at a cash bar (that
> one has obtained a license for) one MUST take the SmartServe Course
offered
> at the local colleges. I believe it is an afternoon-long course but it
> legalizes you to serve alcohol at any function provided the function is
> licenced. You can't, however, get a licence unless you prove you have
> obtained the certificate from the course.
>
> The actual event or room is not licenced, the person serving is.
>
> Micaylah
> ~who understands that licensing and alcohol are really a geographical
thing~

I have it in Digest #2873.  Maybe I misinterpreted what you were saying, but
I think my understanding is a valid one.  Obviously not the one you
intended, but I think you may have been less clear than warranted about the
fact that your perspective is from a country other than the one in which the
original questioner lives.  I know that the rules are different outside the
USA, but that fact does not help someone trying to figure out what the USA
rules are.  Which was my understanding of the original question.

> I did however state that I could be wrong. Apparently I was. Thank you for
> so eloquently pointing that out.

No, just looking at things from a different -- and unfortunately, irrelevant
to the person who originally posted the question -- perspective.

                                ---= Morgan (back to lurking!)