SC - Rusks???

Elysant1@aol.com Elysant1 at aol.com
Fri Jan 5 05:16:49 PST 2001

Lady Heloise introduced herself and mentioned an interest in making
sotelties:
> I am Lady Heloise Noailles-les-Brive of the Barony of Bhakail in the
> East Kingdom. ...  I am a novice soteltie-maker, and I hope to learn the tricks
> of the trade for creating sotelties.

Welcome to the SCA-Cooks list!

While I've still got a bunch of stuff to add to my sotelties-msg file,
this file in the FOOD-SWEETS section of my Florilegium might be a useful
source for some of the comments, directions and recipws that folks on
this list and elsewhere have previously presented:
sotelties-msg    (199K) 11/ 1/00    Sotelties and Warners - decorated food.

These other files in the same section might also be of interest:
gilded-food-msg   (22K)  4/19/99    Gilded foods. Using gold and silver foil.
gingerbread-msg   (39K)  1/31/00    Medieval gingerbread. Recipes.
marzipan-msg      (29K) 11/ 1/00    Use of marzipan (almond paste) in sotelties.
Roses-a-Sugar-art (21K)  7/15/98    "Divers Pretty Things Made Of Roses
& Sugar"
                                       by Mistress Renata Kestryl of Highwynds.
Sgr-a-Cnftns-art  (20K) 12/26/00    "Of Sugar and Confections" by Alys
                                       Katharine, O.L., O.P. (Elise Fleming).
sugar-msg        (115K) 10/20/00    Sugar and other medieval sweeteners.
sugar-paste-msg   (89K)  7/20/99    Making sugar paste sotelties.
Sugarplums-art    (19K)  7/15/98    "Visions of Sugarplums" by Mistress
                                       Renata Kestryl of Highwynds.

Do you include illusion food as a soteltie? If so, then these files in
the FOOD section may be of interest.
illusion-fds-msg  (79K)  8/28/98    Medieval illusion foods. Diguised food.
Warners-art       (32K)  6/29/98    An article on disguised food.
                                       by Alizaunde, Demoiselle de Bregeuf.

Alizaunde's article is mainly a list of different kinds of sotelties and
warners. While thin on detailed info, it is an excellant source for ideas.

I plan to add a section to the Florilegium that consists of selected
photographs of sotelties and warners that have been prepared in the SCA.
If anyone has any such pictures that I can use, please consider sending
them to me. While I would prefer electronic copies, I can scan actual
photographs.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net