SC - Seeking comments/More info

DeeWolff@aol.com DeeWolff at aol.com
Fri Jan 5 09:21:15 PST 2001

At 10:08 PM 04/01/01 EST, you wrote:
>In a message dated 1/4/01 10:34:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com writes:
>
><< So anytime I wanted to use alcohol in cooking I had to pay for it
> myself. The four bottles of good brandy I used for one Coronation
> feast was a bit expensive.

Ouch!  I know I could not have covered the $100 (Canadian) we spent on wine
and cider for dishes served at our recent Baronial Banquet.

> Yers,
>
> Gunthar >>
>
>I am surprised that any local folks would have the audacity to set stiffer
>restrictions than those imposed by the corporation itself. I am also  of the
>opinion that such  'rules' are unethical' and questionable. Have you
>approached your omsbudman about this? Control freaks are just as abhorrant
>a well run  organization as anarchists. It is my understanding that
policies
>set by the Board encompass the entire SCA (USA) which is why the Boasrd is
>reticent to make 'official' rulings without much thought and  research.

And please remember that '(USA)' bit.  The laws of the area the event is
being held in supercede the BoD's policies.  Here in British Columbia,
Canada, it is ILLIGAL to serve donated home brew or to have it BYOB.  The
laws state that a special event license must be obtained by a person with
the 'Serving It Right' certificate.  This person is legaly responsable for
the conduct of the bar crew, and the behavoure of the drinkers until they
have sobered up.  (And yes, that means long after the event is over.)  And
the Liquor Board people tell how much you can sell the drinks for, what you
can serve (ie wine, beer and cider only, no hard stuff) and you have to buy
the alcohol from them.  If we break any of these laws and rules, we may
have no insurance coverage.

And that is in just one province.  The rules in the 9 other provinces and 3
territories will all differ in some way.  And dispite the SCA Inc's (USA)
insurance and lawyers, I am willing to bet that there are a few places in
the US where the BoD's policy is in contradiction to the laws of that area.
So please check with your local athorities as well as trying to follow the
BoD's policy.

>Anyway pardon the strong tone, I ma just curious as to why people allow
>themselves to be controled to such an extent when the lawyers for the
>Corporation have already ;looked into the matter and came up with  the rules
>that were legally  OK.

For some areas.

HL Isobel fitz Gilbert
Mistress of Arts,