SC - Chinese Crab - Charibdys japonica

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue Jan 9 05:49:20 PST 2001

Drake & Meliora wrote:

> How close to the Blue Swimmer Crab are either of those?
>
> > is, in turn, a great deal like a Dungeness crab from the Pacific coast
>
> What does the Dungeness Crab look like.

Perhaps eight inches/20 cm from side to side of the upper carapace,
maybe six inches/15 cm. deep from eyes to tail, carapace orange-to-rust
colored, average weight maybe 1 1/4 pounds or so. Underside creamy to
pale beige in color... that's a Dungeness. The European tourteau is
pretty similar: it's named, I assume, for the frilly notches/ridges on
the edges of the shell, making it look a bit like a pie with crimped
edges.

> How much of a flavour/texture difference is there between salt water crab
> species.

As far as I know, texture is largely a function of size, at least among
species considered edible.

> > of the U.S.A. I would guess there's an ozzie equivalent, if not the
> > actual species in question represented. Yes, I realize Australia has a
> > more or less unique ecosystem and all, but things are a little different
> > with marine animals, aren't they?
>
> I dunno...I heard that they swim upside down in Aussie waters :)

So they should look right-side-up to you when you swim, no? ;  )

> > Is there any particular reason why you've settled on Charybdis japonica?
> > Ni Tsan's translator and editor for the PPC article says the recipe does
> > specify what type of crab is used, but goes on to say it's impossible
> > [at this time] to relate the descriptive terms used to any known
> > species. Has that situation changed?
>
> YES. Francoise Sabban in PPC61 replied clarifying some points in the PPC60
> article by Wang and Anderson.  The comments were:
>
> "The species of the crab youmou is Charibdys japonica (A. Milne-Edwards), a
> rather common species in China, especially in the <<South Sea>> as it is
> written in a pharmacopeia dating from the same time as Ni Zan"
>
> There are various comments, some significant enough to make the comments in
> PPC61 vital for redating the recipes in PPC60.

I figured it might be something like this. As it happens, I happened to
have a photocopy of the article from PPC60 right on my desk, and while I
have a copy of PPC 61 somewhere, it wasn't sitting there in the open.
Yes, I remember changes to some of the wine recipes, for example.
Interestingly enough, when you reminded me Sabban mentions a
contemporary pharmacopia, I immediately checked Buell's "Soup for the
Qan", which refers to the medical attributes of crabs, with an editor's
note stating that many different crabs are, and have been, eaten, and
the author provides an example species name, something totally different
from Charybdis japonica. I forget what it was; I could look it up again
if it matters.

> > The Chinese eat _quite_ a few crab species, including some freshwater
> > types.
> > Hoping this helps, not holding my breath...
>
> And I'm trying not to talk either (tonsillitis)
>
> Hope what I have helps.  I'm probably going to have to settle for Blue
> Swimmer Crabs anyway as I live 200km inland and those are the only ones the
> fish markets get in.  I've called every one today.
>
> I figure if I get 'too anal', the already limited number of Practical
> chinese recipes will diminish further.

Of course, that's true. I think perhaps the biggest problem with getting
such things "right" (whatever the h*** _that_ means) is in viewing these
projects as something to be completed and then simply read and worked
from. Certainly not pursuing questions like yours doesn't add to the
body of knowledge available, but asking them, getting an answer that
satisfies the specs at the time, and being satisfied with that answer
forever can be as damaging. I'm just pointing this out as an academic
point, I guess; it really has nothing to do with you or with crabs.

> I have to redact 25 recipes by Saturday.  Redaction Marathon here I come!!!

I guess this is why I said the above. You may find yourself concluding
and saying things on Saturday you later wish you hadn't, or you may find
that some qualification or clarification is necessary. You probably
shouldn't become too attached to what you come up with in the next four
or five days: what you're learning is certainly valid, but I'm sure
you'll learn more after that, and it'll almost certainly have some
bearing on the project.

> Anyone know the number of Blue Swimmer's I can get per Kilo. Same for King
> Green Prawns?

Coulda sworn I saw some kind of fisheries specs on the Web, while
searching for a picture of a blue swimmer.

> ps. I hope the hint about PPC61 was useful.

I don't suppose you know where my copy is, huh? ;  ) I appreciate the
reminder, though.

A.
- --
Phil & Susan Troy