SC - Duello by Cheese Cake; High Noon in Trimaris, Spoons at the Ready

Serian serian at uswest.net
Tue Jan 9 15:00:19 PST 2001

Good Gentles of the List:

Come an event in April there is to be a cheese cake baking duel down here in
southern Trimaris.  Originally it was intended to be the baking of "mundane"
cheese cakes but I stuck a spoon in the bowl and now a least one of the
cheese cakes to be made by each of the two protagonists needs be "period".
I've access in my personal library to six recipes in non redacted and
redacted forms which arguably fit the bill.  The earliest on the list is
Roman, Savillum (Cato).  The list then proceeds to French and Italian with
Sambocade, Torta Bianca and Sienese Tart and culminates in English recipes
from Elinor Fettiplace and Joan Cromwell which take us to the 16th century?
and on to 1664  (yes slightly out of period) respectively.

For purposes of the competition we have used the classic "Cheesecake"
entries in Joy of Cooking as an archetype.   Cheesecake, per "The Joy of
Cooking", is thus egg-based with CHEESE, plus sugar or honey and some sort
of flavoring and occasionally flour and milk or cream.  Regards the CHEESE;
baker's cheese, cottage cheese, cream cheese, ricotta are all apparently
used in typical modern recipes.

Hopefully this will help to dispel the misconception that "period" food
isn't tasty by giving people exposure to something in period that is not to
foreign to their mundane palates.  Does anyone wish to provide recipes for
possible consideration by the protagonists?  Referenced non redacted recipes
accompanied by redacted versions are preferred.  It is my hope that the
protagonists will  redact the recipes they use themselves.  Thus it is also
my hope that the redacted version supplied will be used as a reference
point/example version.

Daniel Raoul