SC - Cheesecake judging Laurels

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Jan 11 01:01:54 PST 2001

At 06:09 PM 1/11/01 +1100,Drake & Meliora said something like:
>An Urgent question Folks,
>
>Does anyone have a good modern description for making Modern Chinese Wheat
>Noodles.  I have included the recipe (from Ni Tsan) below but am unsure of
>the quantities of flour, salt, and water used or of the method of kneading
>used.  If someone has done this recipe (or modern chinese recipe) before,
>any insight would be appreciated.
>
>Cheers
>
>Drake,
><recipe snipped for brevity>

I've seen these made on TV cooking shows many times. I found the following
recipe at:
http://chinesefood.about.com/food/chinesefood/library/blrecipe137.htm

Hand-Pulled Noodles
Ingredients:
6 cups pastry flour
1 1/2 cups regular enriched flour
3 1/2 cups water

Directions:
Combine the two flours in a large bowl and slowly add water. Mix well and
knead to a smooth dough. Cover with a wet towel and refrigerate overnight.
The next day, remove from the refrigerator and knead for about ten minutes
until smooth and elastic.
Roll the dough into a long cylinder, 2 to 3 inches round.
Holding on to each end of the dough, raise the dough above your head and
with a wrist-snapping motion, whack it against the work surface. Fold the
dough in half after each whack.
Repeat this process several times, being sure to lightly flour the surface
to prevent the dough from sticking. This beating action relaxes the gluten
and continually stretches the dough.
The dough is now ready for pulling and stretching. Holding both ends of the
dough, pull and stretch and quickly fold the two ends together. Continue
the pull-stretch-fold technique each time increasing the number of threads,
until you end up with many whisker-fine strands of dough.
The stretched noodles are boiled approximately 3 minutes, and drained in
preparation for your recipe.

(Reprinted from Wok Talk)

Good luck, this doesn't look so terribly hard!!
Maggie MacD.