SC - re-hash of my breakfast notes plus recipe

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jan 11 05:11:12 PST 2001

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Ok, would one of you two (or someone else), please post the original
> recipe for this and perhaps Hieatt and Butler's redaction? And
> Adamantius, how about posting yours? This would make folling this
> discussion a lot more interesting/useful to those of us on this
> end, who don't know the recipe you are talking about. Besides this
> sounds like an interesting recipe I might want to try sometime. :-)

I posted the original last night, H&B don't provide a readaction (in
this case, Gott sei dank!), and I don't have a redaction to speak of, I
just went ahead and made it from the original recipe.

I filleted and skinned two or three (for that crowd, probably three)
Atlantic salmon, each weighing roughly fifteen pounds, then removed the
little transverse pin bones with, IIRC, needle-nose pliers (a standard
professional tool for this job), then ground the flesh and as much of
the back and belly fat as I could include, in a Cuisinart set on pulse,
so we would get a slightly rough texture rather than simply a puree.

Seasoned with salt, saffron infused in a little fish stock (yes, I
cheated and made a stock from the skin and bones, then used it to poach
my fish) then adding it to the fish before grinding, and ground cloves.

Extruded through a pastry bag instead of a horn (and I can attest my
pastry bag has never been involved in any way in the death of Edward II)
and poached in the simmering fish stock until the pieces floated.
Drained and served under a sprinkle of coarsely crushed, freshly toasted
cumin seed. I think I may have made a green sauce to go on the side,
with a little of the fish stock, but that was an afterthought.

Exceedingly tasty when freshly and properly cooked, horrible overcooked
(we kept a couple pieces hot, to see what would happen -- lacking even
the variegated texture that overcooked fish can have, it kind of felt
like sawdust in the mouth). I suspect it might not be at all bad if left
in the cooking liquid to cool completely, then served cold.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com