SC - Flour of pepper (was Re: Saumon gentil)

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 11 14:34:50 PST 2001

>*I can't decide if the flour reference is to powdered "flour" of pepper,
>cloves, and cinnamon, or if you're supposed to add some wheat flour in
>addition to the spices. A small amount would probably help the texture
>and the moisture level, turning it from something like fish burgers to
>fish gnocchi, except for the fact that fairly few contemporary English
>recipes seem to refer to ground grain as flour rather than meal, and of
>those that do, _very_ few seem to use flour in this way, seeming to
>rely, in general, more heavily on breadcrumbs. So, I'm inclined to lean
>in the direction of fine powder of pepper, cloves, and cinnamon, rather
>than wheat or other grain flour.
>
>Adamantius

Just to add some confusion to the discourse:

Might it be a muddling in the transcription, ie between "flour" (meaning
finely ground) and "flower", indicating the finest grade of the spice?  I
have run into similar usage in de Nola.  In some recipes he indicates using
the finest flour with the phrase "flor de harina" (lit. "flower of flour")
My understanding of it is that the recipe is indicating the use of the
finest quality ingredient available.

YMMV.

Vicente