Saumon Gentil (was: SC - Re: SC- Turkish Food)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Jan 11 23:51:08 PST 2001

I have been asked by a friend of a friend (and former list member) to
forward the following missive:

"Terri Millette" <wayspiff at ici.net>
"I'm looking to see if anyone knows the origin of why Chess pie is
called what it is, it's a fairly clear kind of pie of southern
origin, so I thought perhaps someone from that neck of the woods
might know."

* * * *

Can anyone help her?  I checked several reference books at work,
but none of them agree.  One says it comes from "chest" because
it keeps well in a pie chest.  Another that it is deep like a chest.
Several sources say the name derives from "cheese".  A cute (but
dubious) story says that the creator of the recipe was asked what
it was called, and replied, "It's jess' pie."

Any Southern bakers/etymologists out there?

Brighid, up *far* too late, making stuff to bring to 12th Night

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net