SC - Duello by Cheese Cake; High Noon in Trimaris, Spoons at the Ready

Erika Thomenius ldygytha at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 12 18:09:48 PST 2001

If he did, then he is competing with Methuselah.

Marcus Porcius Cato the Elder (234 - 149 BCE), also known as Cato the
Censor, was one of Rome's greatest orators.  His De Re Rustica (AKA, De Agri
Cultura) is the oldest existing Latin prose and contain a number of recipes
including one for Savillum, a type of cheese cake.  He is probably best
known for the phrase "Delinda est Carthago" (Carthage must be destroyed)with
which he ended every speech before the Senate.

For the Latin text of De Re Rustica, try:

http://www.geocities.com:0080/Athens/Forum/6946/literature/cato_agriculture.
html

and for the translation of a few chapters, including some recipes, try:

http://www.novaroma.org/religio_romana/cato_index.html

Bear