SC - Duello by Cheese Cake; High Noon in Trimaris, Spoons at the Ready

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jan 12 10:58:09 PST 2001

"Decker, Terry D." wrote:

> Actually, Marcus Porcius Cato the Younger was Cato the Elder's
> great-grandson, according to Plutarch's Lives.  Like his great-grandfather,
> Cato the Younger was a staunch Republican and as such was very much opposed
> to Julius Caesar.  Backing the losing side in the dispute between Pompey and
> Caesar, he committed suicide before being captured by Caesar in 46 BCE.

And for those who think modern politics is racy, Cato the Younger is
also the man who, thinking to damage Caesar's dignitas, demanded to have
a private note, that Caesar had just received, read out to the Senate.
It read, more or less, "Dear Gaius Julius, I can't stop thinking of how
you were last night, etc., etc., love and kisses, Mrs. Cato".

> He
> was also, IIRC, father-in-law to that honorable man, Marcus Junius Brutus.

True. I don't know where I had gotten the uncle idea from, and as soon
as I saw the dates involved, I knew I must have been mistaken. Wait...
There's another Marcus Porcius Cato, a tutor to the household of
Augustus, and _he_ is the nephew of Cato the Younger.

> I having some deja vu all over again, to quote the great Yogi.  That last
> paragraph reminds me of the last SCA political hassle I got sucked into.

A good reason to stay in kitchens whenever possible.

A.
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com