digby's fruitcake was Re: SC - Cheesecake judgingLaurels/Competitions

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jan 16 04:06:58 PST 2001

Lady Serian listed her thoughts on entering competitions and
I thought most were good ideas, but I wondered about this one:

> 5.  Something I learned from my last A&S that I will not do
> is to bring extra documentation copies or recipe copies for
> the populace or other competitors who are interested.  I
> found a few people who were looking for a recipe I competed
> with.

Why? There have been a number of competitions/displays where I read
a little of the documentation for some wonderful crafts, some of which
was quite new to me. Unfortunately, the time to read all the
documentation is often limited and it's worse if I were to try to take
notes. When the competition is anonymous or out of my local area such
as Gulf Wars, it is sometimes difficult to get the artisan's contact
info. For many of these have a copy of the documentation, even a
"reader's digest" type summary with full contact info would have been
nice and perhaps led me to try something new.

I'm not sure why you are adverse to making this information available.
Are you planning to enter this display in a future A&S competition and
don't want the possible competition?

For the same reasons I like seeing the documentation, I have been
considering A&S documentation for inclusion in the Florilegium. While
it is often rougher than an article, they are often complete enough
to be used as information resources away from the competition itself.

So folks, if you have such A&S documentation that you've done, please
consider sending it to me for inclusion in the Florilegium, especially
those items having to do with the less common crafts and arts.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net