SC - Re: motives for entering competitions...

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Tue Jan 16 15:28:01 PST 2001

Was written:

I'm not comfortable having my measure of success rest of the
>shoulders of others (judges, autocrats, etc)
>
>I'm much happier having the measure of my success come from within me.
>Specifically, if the measure of my success is to
>1. finish some cool projects I've had on the back burner for some time.
>That's an easy bar to aim for, and totally the result of my own efforts. No
>judges can affect this.
>2. to learn something new. again, totally me-based :)
>
>note that neither of these actually have anything to do with the
>competition itself....
>
>now, if my goal was to WIN, my success would be in the hands of other
>people. I'm too much of a control freak for that :). I guess the
>competition itself is only an excuse and an extrinsically imposed deadline.

I don't generally indulge in "me toos" but in this case I'll make an
exception regards 1 and 2.  There can be other reasons however.  The
documentation for an entry I did a year or two back is in the Florithingy,
my infamous "Speculative Reconstruction of a 12th Century Hole".  It was a
study in the documentation of an entirely insubstantial artifact, to wit a
privy seat hole, the result of a fit of pique over the need to document the
undocumentable in a different project.  The text of that project is a
handbook for Lucette work and can be found in the 30 year A/S publication as
its last article.

I will be entering two displays in our Kingdom A/S next week.  One will be
"culinary" the other not.  Regards  the culinary display it will be
skanjabins and citrus syrups.  I will have three citrus syrups, lime, lemon,
and sour orange, and one and possibly two skanjabin type syrups.  In part it
is, quite frankly, to provide and publicize period alternatives to alcoholic
beverages.  Don't know about elsewhere, other countries, different laws,
different
customs, but we have a lot of dry sites used by Kingdoms throughout the US.
I drink in moderation but I try to make it a personal rule not to bring or
consume alcohol at dry sites.   I do admit that I have on special occasions
over the years, in moments of weakness, slipped.  Others in the various
Kingdoms I have lived in, have been less scrupulous than I and even less
discrete.  As a result I have seen problems occur and sites lost.

The second display will be the construction of period rosaries.   I've done
a reproduction of a 16th century German one in antique ivory and bone that
is spot on for one in a photograph and a late 15th early 16th century
Flemish one in amber and antique ivory that is a good speculative
reconstruction of one in a Flemish painting.  After the judging they will be
belated Christmas gifts.  I've also been requested to do a number of
rosaries
as crown gifts for Gulf Wars. I've got about 12 out of 26 done so far.
Quite frankly since I've made so many of them I want to get some formal
input on them as well.  Thus I will have a rosarier's display.

Just one person's input.

Daniel Raoul