SC - Diet Blues

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Jan 16 22:24:12 PST 2001

Daniel Raoul said:
> I will be entering two displays in our Kingdom A/S next week.  One will be
> "culinary" the other not.  Regards  the culinary display it will be
> skanjabins and citrus syrups.  I will have three citrus syrups, lime, lemon,
> and sour orange, and one and possibly two skanjabin type syrups.  In part it
> is, quite frankly, to provide and publicize period alternatives to alcoholic
> beverages.

Did you find any evidence of use of limes in period? Where and when? Did
you find evidence of them used in beverages? Or is this based on "They
had lemons and made lemon drinks and they had limes so there for they
likely made lime juice based drinks..."? I made a lime syrup drink last
year when I did my Royalty luncheon, but didn't have proof that this
would be done in period. So, more evidence at all for lime use would be
interesting.

> The second display will be the construction of period rosaries.   I've done
> a reproduction of a 16th century German one in antique ivory and bone that
> is spot on for one in a photograph and a late 15th early 16th century
> Flemish one in amber and antique ivory that is a good speculative
> reconstruction of one in a Flemish painting.

I would like to consider your documentation on the rosaries for inclusion
in the Florilegium if you are interested.

For those interested in some information about the rosary and making
the rose-beads that they were sometimes made of, check this file in the
RELIGION section of the Florilegium:
rosaries-msg      (52K) 12/ 8/00    Period rosaries and their use.
Making rose
                                       beads.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net