SC - Diet Blues--OT, OOP

margali margali at 99main.com
Wed Jan 17 05:46:03 PST 2001

Agreed.  A standard kind of cheap Beef Sausage found everywhere. Jam packed
full of fillers...

> > So what is an Aussie BBQ and how does it differ from another BBQ?
>
> As I understand it, what we call a barbecue the Americans call a cook-out.
> Barbecue also refers to the fire box.  Onto the grill of the barbeque are
> thrown steak, chops, snags and, in these multi-cultural time things like
> fish, kebabs and so on (and yes, in some circles, kangaroo and
> emu are used
> too, these types of meat are gaining in popularity in Australia).

At one of my Barbies you'll find:

Beef Sausages,
Marinated Baby Octopus,
Vegetable Kebabs (Mushrooms, Pineapple, Tomatoe, Peppers, Onion, Jalapeno) ,
Chicken Kebabs (Chicken, Mushrooms, Pineapple, Tomatoe, Peppers, Onion,
Jalapeno) ,
Lamb Forequarter Chops (Dirt cheap here at about $US0.75 per lb.),
Pork Sashlik,
Steaks (usually pounded and marinated Rump),
Veal (flashed on for 5 seconds...)

No Kangaroo.  I get hunted meat sent down from the Mother-in-law.  I usually
pick a beef dish out of E. David's French Provicial Cooking and replace it
with Roo.  The results have never failed. YUMBO!
Roo is not something I often BBQ.

>  These are
> grilled over an open flame - usually served charred and it isn't a real
> barbecue unless at least one sausage falls onto the ground and
> some adult or
> other says "not to worry, you will eat pound of dirt before you
> die".  Said
> sausage is then casually wiped on some piece of cloth or other, and handed
> to the nearest child.

I'm sorry? That must be a Tasmanian thing.  The cats get any fallen snags
here...

> Here though I think it is
> > more how the meat is cooked and what it is that differs rather than
> > the event itself.

Aussie BBQ's are very laid back affairs, where I was under the impression
that Yank affairs are a touch more formal.
The meat is usually cremated, but at my BBQ's I prefer to have the meat just
right.  The Octopus for example needs only 2 minutes on the grill, until the
tentacles curl.

> In Australia, it is the event and the cooker which are called barbecues.
> Barbecue meat the way the Americans have it is not common here.

How do they have it over there?

Drakey.