SC - Peers -OT

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 17 12:45:56 PST 2001

Gunter wrote:

> Something to remember about the LoR is that it isn't
> even a Peerage in all Kingdoms. In Ansteorra it is more
> of a courtesy title than a Peerage. I think mainly because
> we feel, as has been mentioned, that the rank of Countess
> or Duchess is higher than simple Peerage.
>
> I believe most Principalities have similar awards for
> Princesses who step down but they are not Peerage either.

In West and traditionally-related kingdoms, Viscountesses are Ladies of the Rose
as well.

> Also, Duke Hector is considered a "Lord of the Rose" and
> actually goes up when the Ladies are called to protect the
> Queen's Crown.

I think the first male in the Order of the Rose was Duke William of Houghton,
lord husband of then-Princess-in-her-own-damright of the Mists, Maythen of
Elfhaven, in 1981.  O but he had a grand time, being the Lord of Love and Beauty
with his Laddies in Lurking.  I never saw him stop smiling during their visit to
Caid's May Coronation.

In Caid there is one unbelted Duke.  Don't ask.  His lady is a member of the
Order of the Rose and a peer, all righty, but he ain't nothing but a Duke [and
still banished the last time I checked.  Don't ask.  I wasn't there.]

Selene
selene at earthlink.net