SC - Ein new Kochbuch

Thu Jan 18 06:26:54 PST 2001

Meliora described:
> The BBQ itself is an openair grill (I think the one we used was gas).  I did
> the time-honored tradition of moving the uncooked food to the BBQ and looked
> helpless.  A number of men jumped forward and claimed the implements and
> proceeded to cook the meats for me (thus leaving me free to work on the
> salads inside).  I say time-honored because it is a cultural thing at any
> Aussie BBQ that the men are outside playing with the fire and the women are
> inside preparing the nutritious portion of the meal.  Very sexist, but also
> accepted practice for some reason.  Even high-paid male executives will
> stand around a BBQ with a cold beer in hand,  discussing the game (pick a
> sport) on the weekend with the guy next to him, while the University-trained
> female is inside checking the salads

Amazing, sounds exactly like the South African version.  Rules of the
braai (South African for barbeque):
1. Men cook, women do salads.
2. Everyone brings their own meat.
3. Everyone brings enough meat for about 3 people in addition to
themselves, so there's always a tottering pile of mixed cooked meat
left over.
4. Steak, chicken pieces, lamb chops, chicken kebabs are the standard
meat types.
5.  There is always boerewors (beef sausage with bits,
sounds rather like the Aussie equivalent).
6. Various strange sauces and marinades will be poured liberally over
all meat present, regardless of what marinade various meats started
out in.
7. Beer.   (Also poured onto the braai and meat, for
approximately the same reasons as Drake ennumerates).
8. Potato salad, rice salad, green salad, bread rolls.
9. Real men don't eat salad.
10. A lunch braai will start at 12.00 and will entail eating at about
4pm.

ah, comparative culture...
JdH

p.s. in answer to Lucrezia's question, I keep my nail varnish in the
'fridge because I've been told it dries out less quickly.  Seems to
work, it's still liquid after 5 years...

Lady Jehanne de Huguenin  *  Seneschal, Shire of Adamastor, Cape Town
(Jessica Tiffin, University of Cape Town)
Sable, three owls rising argent, each maintaining a willow slip vert.
http://users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant