SC - Rose Water perishable?

WyteRayven@aol.com WyteRayven at aol.com
Thu Jan 18 07:23:41 PST 2001

Nisha Martin wrote:

> Hi,
> BBQ's vary alot from region to region.

That's almost an understatement.  But yes, they do.  Also, we are talking two
different things here.  There is a Barbeque, which is a party that sounds a lot
like what you Aussies do...another name for it is a Cookout.  But basically a
similar thing happens, with the guys usually running the grill/smoker and the
women making the side dishes.  I'm lucky because Phillip and I work together on
the side dishes.  Often people will contribute side dishes...or another popular
thing is to have people bring whatever they want to cook on the grill and the
host supplies the sides and desserts.

So far as the dish, barbeque, is concerned, some use a sweet tomato based sauce,
some use one that is spicier.  Some use a rub, then have the sauce to be used as
a sauce while eating.  My grandfather had a unique pork barbeque that has the
pork cooked first to a point where it can be shredded.  The pan juices are then
mixed with mustard (plain yellow), vinegar (apple cider), butter, black pepper
and salt.  This is heated in a saucepan, then poured over the shredded meat.  A
lemon (or two, depending on the size of the dish), is sliced in a spiral and
laid on top.  It is then baked in the oven (350 - 400) until it is brown.  Oh
my, I can almost taste it now.  And I can still hear my grandmother complaining
that he had gotten it too hot again!  As I understood it from him, this was
traditional in central and southern Georgia!

Kiri