SC - almond milk source - Almond Breeze

margali margali at 99main.com
Thu Jan 18 08:35:10 PST 2001

Ilia wrote:
>I was also considering picking up the orange blossom water that they
>have. Would it be useful in period cooking? Would it perhaps be a
>good substitute for flavor for Seville oranges if you cant find them?

No relationship in flavor between the light, rich, sweet, slightly
spicy, floral of orange flower water - a staple in modern Moroccan
pastries and fruit salads - and the bitter, sour, pungent, sharp
flavor of Seville oranges. I'd venture that orange marmalade is
closer to Seville oranges, since traditionally that's what it was
made of, although i don't know about what they use in marmalade today.

I use orange flower water for my modern ethnic Moroccan cooking and
in my hot chocolate - lots of Droste's cocoa powder, a dash of
cinnamon and other "sweet" spices as i am inspired, as little sugar
as i can stand, then pour in the hot milk. Blend well. Add a capful
of high quality Bourbon vanilla, and and a light spritz of orange
flower water, then adjust the sugar.

I'm not familiar with orange flower water being used in period
cooking - but i've got al-Baghdadi open by the bed and i may come
across something in the next night or two.

As for smelling the rose water "through" the bottle, the fact that
you can smell it means it isn't very tightly sealed and is
vaporizing. I'd keep it somewhere cool to minimize the evaporating
(and possibly even put it in a large enough zip-lock bag), or you may
find your bottle getting emptier even before you open it.

Anahita al-shazhiyya