SC - Orange-flower Water

lilinah@earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 18 14:46:00 PST 2001

Being of a nautical bent (okay, okay, so usually I'm just bent...) my first
thought was to check for uses in combatting scurvy.  A quick survey of my
references provided the following (granted, its late/post period):

"... [W]e have in our owne country here many excellent remedies generally
knowne, as namely, Scurvy-grasse, Horse-Reddish roots, Nasturtia Aquatica,
Wormwood, Sorrell, and many other good meanes... to the cure of those which
live at home...they also helpe some Sea-men returned from farre who by the
only natural disposition of the fresh aire and amendment of diet, nature
herselfe in effect doth the Cure without other helps." At sea, he states
that experience shows that "the Lemmons, Limes, Tamarinds, Oranges, and
other choice of good helps in the Indies... do farre exceed any that can be
carried tither from England."

John Woodall (1556-1643), military surgeon to Lord Willoughby's regiment
(1591), first surgeon-general to the East India Company (1612), surgeon to
St. Bartholomew's Hospital (1616-1643).  Excerpted from _The Surgeon's Mate_
, 1617.

regards, Puck