SC - Sixteenth Leeds Food History Symposium

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Fri Jan 19 04:17:55 PST 2001

>My lord Drake (well his mundane persona anyway) was born in England and
>therefore has not had what I grew up with "an Aussie Barbie" for
>celebrations. ....it is a cultural thing at any
>Aussie BBQ that the men are outside playing with the fire and the women are
>inside preparing the nutritious portion of the meal.  Very sexist, but also
>accepted practice for some reason.

I'm from the southeastern U.S.  Barbecue is a noun, the verb for what the
rest of you call BBQ is 'grilling'.  Making barbecue is entirely more
complex involving whole pigs, large firepits and long debates about sauce
ingredients, but in any case, the sauce is not thick and sweet like the
stuff Kraft sells. Barbecue is best left up to your local professionals, the
lines are amazingly long at good barbecue places.  Unfortunately,  the
resteraunts are usually owned by Baptists so no beer, closed on Sunday.
Order takeout any other night of the week and eat it at home so you can have
beer.

If someone you know has a yard big enough and landscaping poor enough that
they don't mind a pit, or you belong to a big enough church congregation,
you might have a pig-pickin' and actually make barbecue.  In that case the
usual grilling rules apply: the men stay up all night while the pig cooks in
a pit (smokin', drinkin' and cussin' optional depending on if this is a
church hosted event), the women bring the salads and desserts.

My lord Gregory is also British born and has had to learn about grilling.
My own firebug cookery fascination keeps him from learning the skills
necessary to be a 'real american man'. But Immigration  naturalized him
anyway.

Bonne