non-member submission - Re: SC - Almond butter?

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Fri Jan 19 07:48:33 PST 2001

In a message dated Thu, 18 Jan 2001 11:01:56 AM Eastern Standard Time, lilinah at earthlink.net writes:

>No relationship in flavor between the light, rich, >sweet, slightly
>spicy, floral of orange flower water - a staple in >modern Moroccan
>pastries and fruit salads - and the bitter, sour, >pungent, sharp
>flavor of Seville oranges. I'd venture that orange >marmalade is
>closer to Seville oranges, since traditionally that's >what it was
<snip>

Ah, I see. I wasnt sure what the difference in flavor of seville oranges and regular oranges was. I thought that perhaps since the orange water that I was looking at is from Lebanon, that it might have been made from seville oranges. I dont know where they come from, but I have never seen them in the stores I shop, so assume that they must be native elsewhere.

>I use orange flower water for my modern ethnic >Moroccan cooking and
>in my hot chocolate - lots of Droste's cocoa powder, a >dash of
>cinnamon and other "sweet" spices as i am inspired, as >little sugar
>as i can stand, then pour in the hot milk. Blend well. >Add a capful
>of high quality Bourbon vanilla, and and a light >spritz of orange
>flower water, then adjust the sugar.
<snip>

Oooooo.....Yum! That sounds so good. I usually add lots of spices and sometimes vanilla to my hot chocolate, but I also generally thicken it with a little bit of corn starch. I just really enjoy the texture. It makes it seem like an extra special treat. :) I also enjoy hot milk with vanilla, honey and spices.

>As for smelling the rose water "through" the bottle,
>the fact that
>you can smell it means it isn't very tightly sealed >and is
>vaporizing. I'd keep it somewhere cool to minimize the >evaporating
>(and possibly even put it in a large enough zip-lock >bag), or you may
>find your bottle getting emptier even before you open >it.

Ah....very good idea. :) Thank you.

Ilia