SC - First feasts

CalicoJim1@aol.com CalicoJim1 at aol.com
Sat Jan 20 06:21:16 PST 2001

Sieggy said:
>     Since you have a fryer, think about doing some fritters

You might want to take a look at this file in the FOOD section of my
files for some ideas, recipes and how to do these:
frittours-msg     (43K)  1/17/01    Period fried breaded foods. Recipes.

However, getting these to a crowd of people in good shape, hot and not
soggy, could be difficult even with steam tables etc. I don't think I
would recommend it in your first feast or under primative conditions.

> (or frittroes,
> if you want to be PC) or (heh, heh) turnip chips. Had a friend once who
> served potato chips that had a REALLY interesting taste - when I asked, he
> said that they were an experiment, and how did I like the turnips? That's
> when I started asking before munching . . .

Yes, but I'll bet dollars to donuts that you won't find a period recipe
that's even close to these. Potato chips are a 20th century invention.
Had deep fried turnip chips been a common dish in the Middle Ages, I
suspect potato chips would have been in use much sooner than they were.

Lady Liadnan, you might find some of the ideas in this file in the
FEAST section of my files useful, although you've probably been on this
list since many of them were discussed:
prim-sit-fsts-msg  (7K)  9/11/00    Preparing feasts at primative sites
  (oops. Not as much here as I thought.)

I wouldn't limit yourself to just the books you mention. There have
been a lot of good, tested recipes given on this list. Many of which
are in the Florilegium. I think a stew or soup would do well with
your primative site limitations. And a roasted meat shouldn't be
too difficult.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net