SC - La Varenne

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Sun Jan 21 11:12:37 PST 2001

Adamantius wrote:
>lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
>  > In my search for recipes for the Boar Hunt, someone on the list sent
>>  me a recipe or two from La Varenne, apparently a famous and
>>  influential French chef of the mid-17th century.
>>
>>  I've been searching on the web for his book, the title of which is, i
>>  think, Le cuisiner francois or  Le cuisiner francais. So far, no luck.
>>
>>  Anyone know where i can find more of his recipes?
>
>Oh, Anne-Marie, he said in dulcet tones... I believe she's playing
>your song...

Yes, she's the culprit...

>I believe there are some adapted La Varenne recipes in Wheaton's
>"Savoring the Past", as well as some in [is it???] C. Anne Wilson's or
>Anne Willan's [I forget which] "Great Chefs and Their Recipes", I believe.

Willan. I saw the book listed, but didn't get much useful info in its
contents. I guess i'll see if i can find them at the library. Thanks
for the references.

>I'm not aware of any editions of either "Le Cuisinier Francois" (~1650
>C.E.) or "Le Patissier Francois" (1655 C.E.), or their English
>translations published shortly thereafter, currently in print. I believe
>some libraries might have microfiches of the English editions, though.

That's a shame. Well, i guess i'll try to turn something up.

>As I recall, though, the turkey stuffed with raspberries kicks major keister.

Uh, mmm, uh, do you have the recipe?

I volunteered to do the Boar Hunt again next December - i must have
been in a daze at the end of the feast - and i'm toying with doing
goose along with the pork.

I realize it's well in advance of the event, but as this has been the
season for cooking goose, so i wondered if anyone has any period
goose recipes they've actually prepared? And comments on them, please.

Anahita al-shazhiyya