SC - Children and Cooking

Kekilpenny@aol.com Kekilpenny at aol.com
Sun Jan 21 23:31:12 PST 2001

>Ok, I also concede I'm letting my prejudice run away with me.  I hacked on
>the period thing, because I'm not a good enough cook yet to be able to pull
>off the stuff I'm not intimately familiar with, ie redacted recipies, but I
>was asked from any number of people if my feast was documentable, and it
>was
>really starting to get irritating.  I apologize to the list members if I
>offended anyone.
>Gyric

Who was asking?  Locals, or people here? I don't recall seeing posts from
you in the planning stages of your feast, but I filter and delete vast
numbers of posts, and might have missed it.   If it was locals, that might
be an indication that documented food is something that some people in your
area look for.  Whether they look for it in anticipate or in order to plan
to go off board, I don't know!  I suspect the latter sort wouldn't use the
positive phrase 'documentable'.  More likely they'd say 'period', with a
nasty look on their face.

Quoting and rearranging your first post:

>Beef and Barlet stew in a large bread
bowl per table,
>hams with a spice rub,
>creamed turnips, dill pickle rouladin, vegetarian risotto.

All of those are speculatively 'period' .  Once you start looking at the
documented recipes, there's a good chance you'll find  somewhere in period,
something like was served.  And you will find yourself wanting to test them,
and serve them.  YOur not the first to think this isn't the case!

(actually, I think the rouladin may have been hunted for and not found in
the german manuscripts, if so then it moves to the next category)

>garlic mashed potatoes, maple glazed carrots

The potatoes are the only recipe that is right out.  The carrots would have
been been generic SCA period-like if you'd used honey.  I don't think this
is a documentable thing as much as an SCA tradition.  Other than boring,
theres nothing wrong with SCA tradition, esp at a first time cooks feast.
If I were at the table, I think I would have been just as happy to have the
maple,  New world though it is, vs. the ubiquitous honey.

>ginger honey candy. split pea soup with ham, 12th night cakes,  recipie
>found
in my baronial newsletter.

And these are documentable, at least I'm guessing the cakes are.  Hooray!
Having at least some documentable dishes beats quite a few feasts.

A mix of speculative, family or traditional and documented  dishes
respectable.  I expect most of us started that way, I know I did.

Bonne