SC - Ivanhoe

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sun Jan 21 22:04:22 PST 2001

I was watching TV the other night, and there were two movies on, loosely
dealing with my period.  "Lion in Winter" - a classic, and a video in my
tape collection, and "Ivanhoe", which I had never seen before.  I
wondered what there was about Jan. 18th that two such movies should be on
at the same time, but I digress.  I was amazed at how good everything in
the movie looked, with the exception of the cut of the women's dresses
(50's darts and um, how to say this delicately, breasts of distinction?).
 At the end, a commentator came on and said how they had done a
remarkable amount of research on the film (especially remarkable for
Hollywood at the time) and he told a little anecdote from the filiming.
It seems that when the whole place sat down for the feast scene, period
foods were brought in, including roasted meats and vegetables.  One
assistant spotted an error in the roasted potatoes,  and the filming was
halted while the research was checked.  Sure enough, potatoes were deemed
wrong, and they were all removed and replaced with baked apples!
I was terribly impressed by this story, and just had to share.
Cheers!
Christianna