SC - Happy New Year

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jan 22 06:58:22 PST 2001

Ian Gourdon wrote:

> > Alows de Beef or de Motoun - Two Fifteenth Century p. 40
> > Take fayre Bef of Ýe quyschons, and motoun of Ýe bottes, and kytte in Ýe
> > maner of Stekys; Ýan take raw Percely, and Oynonys smal y-scredde, and
> > yolkys of Eyroun soÝe hard, and Marow or swette, and hew alle Ýes to-geder
> > smal; Ýan caste Ýer-on poudere of Gyngere and Saffroun, and tolle hem
> > to-gederys with Ýin hond, and lay hem on Ýe Stekys al a-brode, and caste
> > Salt Ýer-to; Ýen rolle to-gederys, and putte hem on a round spete, and
> > roste hem til Ýey ben y-now; Ýan lay hem in a dysshe, and pore Ýer-on
> > Vynegre and a lityl verious, and pouder Pepir Ýer-on y-now, and Gyngere,
> > and Canelle, and a fewe yolkys of hard Eyroun y-kremyd Ýer-on; and serue forth.
>
> Would this be closely related to Rouladen? Perhaps an ancestor?
> Following that this doesn't seem much different, how many of Gyric's
> dishes were -really- out of kilter for a first feast? Maybe he doesn't
> know how close he came to what he decried, if that's what he was saying,
> as I seem to recollect that there are period versions of pretty much
> everything he made...

Functionally, yes, there's a close relationship, I'd say.
Etymologically, I'm in between a maybe and a no. I'd be vastly surprised
to learn that Germany had no medieval tradition of aloyeaulx, alowes,
aloes, or olives, originally a stuffed pseudo-bird meat roll, and later
simply a meat roll that could be roasted, braised, or baked in a pie.

> feast.BUT, the Aztec style hot chocolate (with chilies) made me the
> happiest of all. Maybe it's just a taste bud thing.

Either that or the scads of theobromine and tryptophane ... ;  )

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com