First feasts was Re: SC - Diet Blues

lilinah@earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 22 10:44:44 PST 2001

> Can you give me an example of the kind of thing you're talking about?
> Medieval recipes are generally so vague that a _really_ broad range of
> foods can be produced by following the instructions more or less
> exactly.

Well, one particularily memorable feast was one a few years ago, with
friends of mine that are FABULOUS cooks.  Their recipies for the pudding
tasted like there was rubbing alchohol in it, and the dates in candied sauce
looked like cockroaches in maple syrop, and didn't move on the plate, even
when turned upside down. Things like that.

> For a minute it sounded as if you were suggesting you
> might not be a good enough cook to carry it off.

No, I think I meant more along the lines of "for my first feast I wanted to
make things I was comfortable with, instead of trying new things of which I
have no idea what they SHOULD taste like..."

> Except... it also sounds as if your crew of happy diners really were
> interested to know if your menu was an attempt at historical accuracy,
> which is why they kept asking if the dishes were documentable.

Actually, it was more with an aprehensive tone for a lot of them, and some
scathing questioning, but I know the scathers and I could really care less
about their opinion.

As I said, period feasting is something I'll be working toward, with the
help of this list.
Looking forward to the next one, which I believe is going to be in November.

Gyric