SC - Fractions in recipes

Gerekr@aol.com Gerekr at aol.com
Mon Jan 22 21:03:38 PST 2001

At 7:42 AM -0500 1/22/01, Ian Gourdon wrote:

>Although that's not to say I didn't REALLY appreciate the Cleftland's
>feast last Saturday night, head cook being Ceinwen Ferch Elidure
>O’denbeigh; about 15 dishes to make an early sixteenth century Spanish
>sailor's buttons burst. From the menu:

>Una Olla Porrida
>    (meat roasted and served on a vegetable base) rabbit, sausage,
>    harlic, onions, chestnuts, kidney beans, chickpeasm blackbeans,
>    cabbage, turnips, salt, pepper, cinnamon

>Frijolles con Chile Ancho
>    (beans fries with chiles) lentils, olive oil, ancho chiles, salt

>Atole
>    (cornmeal mush with pimento and honey) cornmeal, pimento,
>    honey, water
>Turquia Mole
>    (roast turkey in a chile-chocolate sauce) turkey, pasilla chile,
>ancho
>    chile, mulato chile, tomatillos, almonds, raisins, sesame seeds,
>    baking chocolate, garlic, vegetable broth, cinnamon, cloves, black
>    pepper, allspice, oil, dry corn tortillas

>Tamales
>    (filled dough, steamed) cornmeal, salt, black beans, onions, cheddar
>    cheese, oregano, olives, pine nuts, garlic, cumin, olive oil

Are you saying that this was a meal an early sixteenth century
Spanish sailor could have eaten--presumably with the New World
ingredients being used in dishes we actually know were made in the
New World in the 16th century? I didn't think our information on
South American dishes was that good.
- --
David Friedman
Professor of Law