SC - Re: First feasts

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 23 06:32:10 PST 2001

All,
I attended Northkeep's Winterkingdom Collegium yesterday.  I went as a
teacher and musician.
We have discussed the roll of musicians at feast on the list before, so I'm
going to step out here and just let you all know - I really felt
appreciated yesterday.

First of all, site fees were waived for instructors. This was a first for
me. I was prepared to pay for site and feast, and I was pleasantly
surprised when I was told to put an "I" by my name. Also, because I was a
musician, feast fee was waived.  Hey, better than any largesse I've ever
received for playing.

Now to the food:  Feast was Russian based.  I understand they used a
particular cookbook, but the name escapes me.
The first course was fresh baked white and wheat bread with butter and
honey butter, pickled mushrooms, pickled herring, dill cucumber pickles and
sliced fresh apples.  I appreciated the fact the bread was still warm from
the oven.  I know what kind of timing and labor goes into getting bread
made under the best of conditions, but it was COLD, inside and out.  I
tried the herring, having never eated pickled fish before.  All I can say
is it wasn't bad.  It was way different than any fish dish I've ever tasted
before, but I'd definately eat another piece or two again.

As I was playing in between munching, everything gets kind of jumbled after
this...
I remember pierogies - they were lovely and too hot to eat at first.  We
played a song or two while waiting for them to cool. Baked ham I didn't get
to try, and I missed the borscht (sp?). I forgot my bowl.  But I'm probably
better off, I was clumsy yesterday, and would have probably spilled it on
myself.  It looked good, though.  Baked ham - well, I did get a piece, but
unfortunately didn't have time to taste it.  Roasted chicken, cooked just
the way I like it with crispy skin and done all the way through.  I noticed
something in the bottom of the bowl, but didn't get a taste :-( .  There
was a carrot dish I tried, and would have liked a lot had the carrots been
cooked just a tiny bit longer.  They were still crunchy, and I like mine al
dente. Last remove was gingerbrede and cottage cheese pie.  By the time the
last remove was out, I was stuffed to the gills.  I was impressed by the
soletie, a beautiful gingerbrede castle, representing Trimaris, who will
fall before the mighty Ansteorran army at Gulf Wars (I was told I had to
put this in as it was part of the presentation).

It was a noisy, happy group.  We played off and on, while feeding our
faces.  After the last remove, I and several other musicians travelled to
tables and performed solos and duets.  It was a bit rough for me.  It's not
my habit to "travel," but I've learned a couple of new Irish jigs and
wanted to play them for a friend. I found out he'd left early, so I just
played for the table I assumed he'd been with had he stayed.  I was
rewarded with largesse and appreciative applause. The group knew our music
wasn't being heard by many -  it was just too noisy. But, as we play for
our own enjoyment, we didn't care.

Anyway, I'm sure there's a Northkeep person or two on the list who can fill
in more details and see this message gets forwarded appropriately. Hail to
the chef!

Lady Liadnan of Sparrowhaven
Shire of Mooneschadowe
Mooneschadowe Merry Musician