SC - Re: Roulades

DeeWolff@aol.com DeeWolff at aol.com
Tue Jan 23 08:03:57 PST 2001

I haven't caught up with the entire digest yet, so excuse me if it's
redundant. however:

Huswife's jewel has a recipoe for almond butter that is 'in the newest and
best fashion" or some such similar title. It isn't curdled at all. The
almond milk is simply strained from the almonds after prodigous grinding,
and the resulting milk is then boiled to take advantage of the natural
thickening properties of the almonds. This almond butter (cheese, some call
it) will weep quite a bit. But the recipe is worth taking advantage of if
you're interested. It helped me win a category at Ice Dragon (huge mucking
A&S competition).

Cheers

Aoife.
(PS: Good to see you active, Solveig. See you at Investiture at Marywood
University on Saturday, I hope).

Adamantius wrote:
kirsty wrote:

> coming from scotland we dont realy have peanut butter so how do you make
that?

Peanut butter is made by grinding roasted peanuts or groundnuts,
sometimes with just enough water to keep it all emulsified, to a thick
paste of varying degrees of smoothness. Commercial peanut butters
sometimes have sugar and/or other junk added.

Almond butter can be made modernly in this way, but almond butter in
period is a coagulated product not unlike bean curd, normally made from
heated almond milk mixed with a small amount of hot vinegar or wine,
which thickens it to a somewhat custardy consistency, after which it can
be drained through a cloth to whatever degree of firmness/dryness you
wish. I'll see if I can find a recipe; I think they start in
fifteenth-century English sources.

Adamantius
- - --