SC - La Varenne

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 22 10:37:29 PST 2001

>Bonne of Traquair wrote:
>
>>  Can you aquire the original and redaction for these, they sound yum.  Though
>>  I am sure for my own sake that the anise is a scribal error.  (If Cariadoc
>>  can say it about saffron, I can say it about anise.)
>
>Ooh! And I will say it about cilantro! (Bleah! Tastes like soap!)
>
>'Lainie

There are a few, very few, spices i'm not fond of. One is anise seed,
another is its cousin fennel seed. But i find that if they are among
a number of seasonings and not the predominant flavoring, i can stand
them.

After all, if one just ate a spoonful of asafoetida, one would likely
go "Patoeey. Euwe. Yuck. Gag" but used appropriately, it makes a huge
positive difference in the balance of seasonings.

Anahita