SC - Nun's Nipples, OOP

Barbara Sall socha at epix.net
Wed Jan 24 12:52:21 PST 2001

If I remember correctly, there was a post on this list for Nun's Nipples.  I
was poking about at my local library and came up with a book titled
"Ladyfingers and Nun's Tummies".  It is all about how things got named.
According to this book, tortellinis have another name, umbilichi sacri,
sacred navels.  Supposedly they were formed to look like Venus's navel.
There is an Italian pastry topped with a cherry that the Italians call tete
di Venere or the breasts of Venus also known as zinne de monaca or nun's
breasts.
I read some of the book while waiting for our daughter to get off the bus.
It is, so far, humorous and interesting.
Kirsten of Blak Rose