SC - Re: Marzipan

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jan 24 14:52:38 PST 2001

Balthazar of Blackmoor wrote:
> - --- Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:
> > My current solution is a cloak lined with a military
> > blanket and
> > heavily Scotch guarded (actually a competing brand).
>
> You may also wish to consider lining your "rain cloak"
> with cotton (or a more appropriate fabric) which has
> been dipped in melted Parrafin wax, and then pressed.
> Pressing the waxed fabric (with an old iron or hot
> stone) helps to "seal" it, and melt away much of the
> excess wax.  Beeswax may also work, and may be
> slightly more period...

Yes, this technique is talked about in the raingear-msg file that
I mentioned. I haven't tried this because I wasn't sure I liked
the idea of walking around campfires and lanterns wearing a candle.
And even if it was that flameable, waxing fabric tends to make it
much stiffer. This cloak I was talking about was primarily made
for Pennsic and since I'm now flying to Pennsic, being able to be
folded small is an advantage.

- --
THL Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net