SC - La Varenne

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Wed Jan 24 09:09:24 PST 2001

My Lord,
A lot of people have said some very good things in responding to your post...and
i suspect I'll repeat some of what they have said, but here goes anyway.

For a number of years, I cooked food that was "sort of" period...in other words,
I didn't use anything that was blatantly out of period.  I had had some folks
present food to me that totally lacked in appetizing texture, color and taste
(I'll never forget one porridge-type dish made with peas that greatly resembled
wallpaper paste!).  However, some very good cooks introduced me to period
dishes, and I began to see that period food can truly be delicious.  In fact, I
became so attached to the idea that I was ecstatic to find period Chinese and
Mongol recipes, after years of searching!

I think that the biggest help to me has been to read through various period
recipes, trying to imagine, first of all, how they would taste.  When I run
across something that sounds promising, I try it out...my lord and I both cook
so don't mind being guinea pigs for each other!  I never serve a dish at a feast
that I haven't tried out, one way or another.  That way, I always know that it's
going to be tasty.  Trust me, if you knew me and what I look like, you'd
immediately understand that I LOVE good food!

Kiri