PRIVATE (Was: SC - Sad News)

micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Thu Jan 25 17:21:16 PST 2001

- --- Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com> wrote:
> Another consideration is that there are a great
> number of reasons why
> we, as cooks, might want to feel responsible (as in
> willing/able to act,
> not necessarily at fault or culpable) for the
> alcohol content, perceived
> or otherwise, of our product.

<snipped some pretty sensible reasons to be careful
with alcohol in cooking>

That having been said (or typed)... Is it not enough
to simply say "Oi!  There's booze in dat!!"?  Provided
we are not violating any civil law by intentionally
serving alcoholic food to minors (?), isn't that where
"our" responsibility ends, and the guests begins?  It
seems to me that most of the guests at a feast
"should" be mentally and emotionally capable of making
their own choices based on the information provided.
We have warned them of the potential presence of trace
alcohol in our food, and at this point we must leave
the decision to continue (or not) in their hands.  Or
I'm wrong...

Balthazar of Blackmoor