SC - cheap cheese?

UlfR parlei-sc at algonet.se
Thu Jan 25 21:55:50 PST 2001

Min asked:
> I've been dragooned into running a Scottish Type feast at the end of
> March and we're still running through details like food.

> The problem is We don't know any real good recipes to use.  Does
> anyone have any ideas on what might be a good idea to serve?
> redacted recipes are nice, but I'll take anything anyone has to offer
> a poor stuck cook like myself.

Perhaps some of the recipes in this file in the FOOD-BY-REGIONS section
of the Florilegium might be of interest. Since I don't think we have
any period Scottish cookbooks, these recipes are interpretations, but
it is something to start with:
fd-Scotland-msg   (39K)  9/21/00    Medieval food of Scotland. recipes.

There is also this file in the FOOD section:
haggis-msg        (79K) 10/ 6/99    Scottish haggis recipes. comments on haggis.

Also, some of the recipes in these files might be useful, although I
don't know that they are authenticated to Scotland:
fish-msg         (109K)  5/26/00    Medieval fish dishes. Fish in the SCA.
seafood-msg       (68K) 11/ 7/00    Medieval non-fish seafood. Recipes.
salmon-msg        (42K)  1/ 5/01    Period use of Salmon. Recipes.

Today, I actually had haggis, in my company (Motorola) cafeteria of all
places. Apparently it was a special for Burns day or something. Haggis,
taters (mashed potatos) and neeps (mashed, pinkish turnips). They
were out of the turnips, which was quite fine with me. I had corn with
red and green peppers instead. The haggis was actually quite good,
reminded me of dressing but a little stronger tasting. I don't think
they cooked it in the stomach, though. :-)

And I had French Onion soup to go with it. They actually had several
good dishes today. Why they can't spread the good dishes out over
several days, so I have to choose between the good ones on one day
and eat blah food the other days, I don't know.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net