SC - Food in History

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 26 10:23:24 PST 2001

At 07:17 PM 1/25/01 -0600, you wrote:
>Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 12:07:17 -0500
>From: "Bethany Public Library" <betpulib at ptdprolog.net>
>Subject: SC - The Food Timeline

>- ------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C086C7.5C4C6BE0
>
>has anyone else seen this (besides morgali, who reads and contributes to
>rec.food.historic frequently)?
>
>The food timeline:
>
>Blurb reads:
>Ever wonder what the Vikings ate when they set off to explore the new world?

I have a wonderful book, EYEWITNESS Viking that has several pages with
photographs of artifacts found in a dig, and fresh food (from modern
tables) that would have resembled the food which Vikings ate.  Apparently
archeologists found a site with such detail that the food residue was still
identifiable, so now we know what they ate!!  Pretty cool.
Other DK books, and especially the Eyewitness books series, have similar
information about food, and customs.  They are my favorite!!!

>How Dolley Madison made her ice cream? What the pioneers cooked along the
>Oregon Trail? Who invented the potato chip...and why? Food is the fun part
>of social studies!

Some of us Homeschoolers use food as part of our Unit Studies.  It
incorporates a Home Ec. and sometimes Chemistry aspect into our studies of
a topic.  It makes learning fun.  We could be studying about Europe in
general, and use the Viking food to tie in some history. GRIN!

>The tricky part is finding recipes you can make in a
>modern kitchen, with ingredients bought at your local supermarket and bring
>into school to share with your class.

Sometimes we have to improvise, but then when we serve the food we talk
about what the Vikings (etc.) REALLY would have eaten, and why we used
something different.  Such as goat or sheep meat for instance - we might
substitute beef as goat is hard to find and mutton is expensive.  It still
works for a history lesson.

>  This page is for you! We are also
>stocking up on teacher and parent resources. Looking for social customs,
>manners & menus? Try the Culinary History Timeline. Bon appetit.
>  http://www.gti.net/mocolib1/kid/food.html
>
>Comments?
>
>Aoife

I'll check out your web page!  Sounds like it could be a great resource!
- -Laurene

        COME SEE OUR WEB SITE!
           http://welcome.to/tinyzoo
             Toddler Reading page