SC - Surviving Estrella War

KallipygosRed@aol.com KallipygosRed at aol.com
Sat Jan 27 20:58:15 PST 2001

Corwyn replied to me with:
> stefan at texas.net writes:
> > Aren't these a bit contradictory? How can it be "especially dry" and
> >  "rain at least one night"?
>
> I would say that like in most desert areas, it rains like a bastid
> occasionally, and flowers briefly, then all the water gets either sucked up
> by the plant life or burned away by the sun. Remember My Cousin's story of
> the air matress ride. <G>

Yes, but the article said the site gets nine inches of rain in an entire
year. There are 52 weeks in the year so, an average of 1/5 of an inch
per week.

If it usually rains at the Estrella War, then either 1/5 of an inch of
rain is more rain than I think it is or a lot of weeks must not get
any rain at all. So why with so many weeks of no rain, does it seem
to rain on the one week of Estrella? Maybe the Rolling Thunder folks
have the wrong beat or something.

Well, I guess it would rain less at Estrella if they held it on
Memorial Day weekend or even July 4th. :-)

And I did make one Estrella ten or eleven years ago. *Ice* formed in
the fire buckets the day before I got there!  I've also made
several business trips to Phoenix over the years. And yes, it rained
on an unusually high proportion of these. What made these worse is that
Phoenix has no storm sewers, everything runs down the streets.

- --
THL Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net