Pierogies vs pirozhki (was Re: SC - Northkeep's Winterkingdom )

Mon Jan 29 06:22:20 PST 2001

The pirog I am familiar with uses a leavened dough shortened with oil.  It's
much closer to a number of flat breads than to brioche.

Brioche is a soft bread enriched with eggs, butter, and, occasionally milk
or cream.  Brioche proper is commonly served as rolls or small loaves, but
the brioche dough is also used with a number of dessert breads which may
have various fruits, seeds, candies, etc. kneaded into the dough or have
been rolled out and filled with spices, sugar, and etc. before baking.

The "rich eggy and sour cream doughs" you are describing fall within the
spectrum of brioche-type doughs.

Bear