SC - Surviving Estrella War

DeeWolff@aol.com DeeWolff at aol.com
Mon Jan 29 14:35:17 PST 2001

- --- "Mark S. Harris" <stefan at texas.net> wrote:

> Using an air mattress is a poor choice in cold
> weather. Thermally you'd
> be better off sleeping on the ground. Of course your
> back may complain
> about that, too. I've slept on concrete floors
> myself, but that was
> 25+ years ago. As you move around on the air
> mattress you move the
> air in the mattress, shifting cool air to you and
> the air you warmed
> off the edges where it can be cooled down again.

The first time I went to Estrella, I brought an air
mattress and nearly froze, even with a sleeping bag,
all my garb on and my cloak on top of everything.

The next year, I brought a portable futon platform,
which breaks down to two 1"x6" boards about 6 feet
long with feet and pegs to hold the slats and 12 1"x3"
slats about 4 feet long.  It looks vaguely Viking when
set up and is easy to transport.  It kept me at least
6" off the ground.  I brought a thick futon and two
down filled quilts and was toasty warm all night, even
though the temperatures were just as cold as the year
before.  I also wore a stocking cap on my head because
your head accounts for a lot of your overall warmth
and usually isn't protected under blankets.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.