SC - OT:OOP:Macaroni and Cheese

WyteRayven@aol.com WyteRayven at aol.com
Mon Jan 29 18:12:53 PST 2001

My mom used to make the best macaroni and cheese.  It had a brown crisp
baked cheese shell on top which I don't like but Dad does.  She never put
bread crumbs on top.

The cheese part was whatever cheese she had.  Sometimes velveta (yea I know
it isn't cheese) or cheddar or swiss or a mixture of all the cheese she had.

I didn't pay attention to how she made it since I thought it was something
you could always find in a cookbook.  Well she must be laughing at me as
she looks down upon my life because I can't figure out the proportions of
how she made it.

IIRC from watching her she used the following:

   corn starch, milk, margarine (or butter) and macaroni and cheese, I
don't think she used any spices because I used to be a picky eater and
hated pepper and she made it a rule not to salt things because the rest of
the world couldn't eat it if she salted it.  Also she tended to cook with
margarine so it was salted from that.

I think she made a medium white sauce using corn starch and then added the
cheese to the corn starch.  The other part she is laughing about is how to
make a medium sauce with corn starch instead of flour.  I remember her
buying cream brand cornstarch and having it tell you on the back how to
make a three kinds of sauce, medium was one of them.  Would you believe for
two years I have been trying to find a box of cornstarch, any brand that
had recipes for sauces instead of either gravy or lemon meringue pie.  When
I make the macaroni and cheese it doesn't have enough cheese sauce and it
doesn't get brown and crispy and top.  Outside of that it tastes ok.

Well now that I have all that ranting done.  If you are still reading
thanks for listening!  What I am looking for is either advice, or a recipe
that uses corn starch instead of flour and what proportion of cheese, milk
etc, or if people have recipes for white sauces using corn starch pass them
along too.

Also some friendly advice, if there is some food that your Mom makes that
you really love write/phone/e-mail her tomorrow and ask her to send you the
recipe because some day you might be sorry you didn't ask her.   Sometimes
having some food from when you were little is very comforting, especially
after a crapping day at work!

	Angeline