SC - Newcomer

Tudorcook tudorcook at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 30 00:18:13 PST 2001

>The original recipe says to beat the paste with a rolling pin, then role
>out
>part of it thin. What does it mean "beat it with a rouling pin"?  I ended
>up
>with a paste, more the consistency of muffin batter. There would have been
>no
>way to roll this out without adding a lot more flour, but that would make
>it
>a dough, rather than a paste. Am I interpreting this wrong?
>
>I used the measurements for flour that was suggested by the author of the
>book.  She says that a pound of flour amounts to about 3 cups of American
>flour. So I was reluctant to use the amount that I would have to have used
>be able to roll this out.

Before I'd cooked anything medieval, I was reading "to the Queen's Taste",
or maybe the King's taste, I forget that detail.  There was an original
recipe that cautioned to carefully cook the chicken without browning it.
The recreated recipe gave instructions to brown the chicken well.  'Hmph!',
I thought, 'I can do as good or better than this person at recreating
recipes!  That's just blatently incorrect!'

Until, after multiple efforts, some sort of error in the original can be
proven, assume any instructions in the original recipe are 'right'.
Therefore, anything prevents you doing what the original says,  is wrong.
If it says roll the paste, and you've got batter, then add more flour until
you have a paste you can roll.  Don't worry about what someone else has
worked out or advises, depend upon the evidence of your work.

Lady Bonne