SC - Newcomer

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jan 30 04:48:17 PST 2001

At 12:20 AM 1/30/01 -0800, you wrote:

>>Also some friendly advice, if there is some food that your Mom makes that
>>you really love write/phone/e-mail her tomorrow and ask her to send you the
>>recipe because some day you might be sorry you didn't ask her.
>
>I am very blessed.  My mother sat down with her cookbooks sometime during my
>very short engagement to my first husband, and wrote out all sorts of
>recipes that she knew I would want, and also the recipes that weren't in the
>books.  I'm going to ask her to re-write it with archival quality stuff, as
>it is 17 yrs old now, and the ballpoint pen ink is fading fast.   I don't
>want her to do it on the computer - I value her handwriting as part of the
>whole.
>
>All you moms, and dads, take note.
>
>Bonne
>(how did it get to be 17 years old already?)

Some of my most treasured recipes are from older relatives who have now
passed on. When I was a teen, if I really liked a dish, I pulled a handy 3
by 5 card out of my purse and asked the cook if they would write down what
went into their potato salad (or whatever), that I really liked it. I put
all the cards into plastic sleeves, and now, whenever I'm feeling
nostalgic, I pull out my recipe box and re-read their recipes, thanking God
that I knew them and believing they are part of the crowd in heaven
cheering me on in this race.  Then I make up the recipe and remember the
last time I shared the food with them. When I pass, I hope my child or
future grandchildren will see my recipe box as a continuation of family
tradition. I'm also planning to add an additional card, describing the
relative and the occasion the recipe was given to me. Now, will I find time
to do this before I pass?

Liadnan