SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2934 - noodles with sugar

Devra@aol.com Devra at aol.com
Tue Jan 30 16:39:57 PST 2001

Was Written:

>That sounds yummy! I don't think I have seen the recipe yet, so I'll have
>look for it. Which did you prefer, the sherry or the brandy?

Tis a toss up love.  I have been intending to try it with a dark rum like
Myers as well. The full recipe calls for a cup of sherry thus if you use
brandy the resultant posset though cooked will have more alcohol in it.
Regards the substitution of brandy it was the holiday and I had forgotten to
buy sherry.   When you cook it the actual directions say to cook it "pretty
thick" and serve it "blood warm".  The trick is that you will stir it and
stir it, so that everything on the bottom gets stirred and not left behind.
Then all of a sudden you will notice that it has finally started to thicken,
just like a cooked custard I have been told.   It is very easy to burn it on
the bottom at this stage so you are probably better off using a double
boiler.  If you find that it is starting to scorch on the bottom, do not
scrap the bottom but pour off what you have and it will be salvageable.   If
you really burn it however it is pretty much a total loss.  I have served it
both warm and chilled.  In either case you will want to serve it in very
small cups as it is extremely rich.   Check Ms. Hess's documentation if you
would as it appears there is some debate on posset periodicity.  Be that as
it may it is becoming a Yule tradition around my house.

Daniel Raoul