SC - Oxymel, anyone?

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Jan 31 11:06:01 PST 2001

>Welll..... in my family lexicon Brawn is potted/pressed meat (one ingredient
>I remember being calves tongues and the *to-die-for* meat jelly)>
>No idea if the recipes period/perioood or just depression era "use all the food"
>but it *is* one of the recipes I keep meaning to get from my mum (who got it from
> her mum etc)
>
>Mari
>(Brisbane, Australia)

I just checked the OED: the word "brawn" dates to well within period,
with the definition of boar or pig meat; the definition of "something chopped
and pressed and cooked into something vaguely like spam but tastier" is
of more recent vintage, say, 18th or 19th century.
So, while it is period, it isn't _quite_ period in your sense.

(Pesonal note: you're from Brisbane; any chance you're with the group from
St. Florian's?)

Alban